HOMELAND SECURITY . . . . . Happy Moments -- Praise God . . . . . Difficult moments -- Seek God . . . . . Quiet moments -- Worship God . . . . . Painful moments -- Trust God . . . . . Every moment -- Thank God!
TORC BLOG .....perspectives of a progressive cleric...: FEAST and FAST this Lent!

Wednesday, February 09, 2005

FEAST and FAST this Lent!

Today is Ash Wednesday which begins our LENT. It should be more than a time of fasting. -- It should also be a joyous season of feasting. LENT is a time to FAST from certain things and FEAST on others.

FAST from judging others -- FEAST on the Christ within them.
FAST from emphasis on differences -- FEAST on the unity of life.
FAST from apparent darkness -- FEAST on the reality of light.
FAST from thoughts of illness -- FEAST on the healing power of God.
FAST from words that pollute -- FEAST on phrases that purify.
FAST from discontent -- FEAST on gratitude.
FAST from anger -- FEAST on patience.
FAST from pessimism -- FEAST on optimism.
FAST from worry -- FEAST on the divine order.
FAST from complaining -- FEAST on appreciation.
FAST from negatives -- FEAST on affirmatives.
FAST from unrelenting pressures -- FEAST on prayer.
FAST from hostility -- FEAST on non-resistance.
FAST from bitterness -- FEAST on forgiveness.
FAST from self-concern -- FEAST on compassion for others.
FAST from personal anxiety -- FEAST on eternal truth.
FAST from discouragement -- FEAST on hope.
FAST from lethargy -- FEAST on enthusiasm.
FAST from sluggishness -- FEAST on discipline.
FAST from isolation -- FEAST on friendship.
FAST from tyranny -- FEAST on liberation.
FAST from diminishment -- FEAST on growth.

Let us pray for the gift of growth this Lenten Season.


O Jesus, You place on my forehead
the sign of my sister Death:
"Remember you are dust,
and to dust you shall return."

How not hear her wise advice?
One day my life on earth will end;
the limits on my years are set,
though I know not the day or hour
Shall I be ready to go to meet You?

Let this holy season be a time of grace
for me and all this world.

"Teach us to number our days aright,
that we may gain wisdom of heart."

O Jesus, You place on my forehead
the sign of Your Saving Cross:
"Turn from sin and be faithful
to the Gospel."

How can I turn from sin
unless I turn to You?

You speak, You raise Your hand,
You touch my mind and call my name,
"Turn to the Lord your God again."

These days of Your favor
leave a blessing as You pass
on me and all Your people.
Turn to us, Lord God,
and we shall turn to You.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home